2 Koreans charged; deny rape took place in motel

Cebu Daily News

RAPE CHARGES were filed yesterday against the two South Koreans accused of bringing two tipsy female Japanese tourists to a motel in Lapu-Lapu City last Saturday morning.
One of the two women subscribed her affidavit before flying back to Japan yesterday.
The two suspects, 34-year-old Jong Duk Lee and 21-year-old Carl Park, were presented to the Lapu-Lapu City Prosecutor’s Office where their lawyer denied that a rape occured.
Officials from both the Japanese and Korean consulate have inquired about the case, said SPO2 Roel Leyson of the Lapu-Lapu City police.
Park is the son of a hotel owner in Lapu-Lapu City.
Lee who refused to grant an interview, held up a picture of him with Justice Secretary Leila Delima published in Cebu Daily News.
The lawyer of the two men, Benjamin Negapatan, said no rape occurred and that the sexual encounter was “consensual”. He said all four used only one room.
Negapatan said he will wait first for the documents presented by the police before responding.
The complainant arrived in Cebu last June 21 to visit her 21-year-old Japanese friend who was taking English language classes here.
CIDG-7 operatives led by Chief Insp. Fermin Armendarez III arrested Park last Saturday morning at his residence in Sunny Hills, Cebu City while Lee was arrested at CIDG-7 office after he visited Park later that afternoon.
Senior Supt. Rey Lyndon Lawas, Lapu-Lapu City police chief, said that while the incident sparked tension between the Japanese and Korean communities, it won’t affect tourism in the city.
Bed sheets with blood stains were recovered in the motel while a room boy who was present at the time the guests checked in was tapped as a witness.
The women, who struck up an acquaintance with the Koreans, said they were first brought to barangay Busay and then to a resto bar in Mango Square for drinks.
The women said they were drunk when they checked into the motel.
But Negapatan said his clients insist the women were not drunk and agreed to have sex with them.
The 21-year old complainant showed bruises in her hands as proof that she was forced to have sex. Her companion said she would pursue her case against the Koreans.
Negapatan said he would ask the court to let his clients post bail.
The two Koreans will undergo a medical check-up before they are transferred to the Lapu-Lapu City Jail.
Akira Oka, former chairman and now consultant of the Japanese community in Cebu, expressed shock over the incident but said they are not blaming anyone for it at this stage.
He said the Korean community should not take the incident against the Japanese community in Cebu.
“I believe the court will make a fair decision not related to nationality,” Oka said.
“In the past, very long time ago, Korea was under Japan. But today, we no longer see it that way. All I can say is that when you are in a foreign country, you have to take care of yourself. protect yourself,” he added. /Correspondents Chito O. Aragon, Carine M. Asutilla and Norman V. Mendoza

2 Koreans accused of rape remain at CIDG

Cebu Daily News

THE two Koreans accused of raping two Japanese women who went out with them for drinks in Cebu City remain in the custody of the Criminal Investigation and Detection Group in Central Visayas (CIDG-7).
Jong Duk Lee, 34, and Carl Park, 21, were brought to the Lapu-Lapu City Prosecutors’ Office yesterday for the filing of information in court and the release of a commitment order.
They were returned to the CIDG office since the handling prosecutor was not available.
Benjamin Negapatan, legal counsel of the two Koreans, said his clients want to be detained at the Lapu-Lapu City jail so they could be easily visited by relatives.
The Koreans insist there was no rape and that the encounter with the Japanese women, one of them a newly arrived tourist, was consensual.
“I did not even touch her. There was no rape,” said Lee.
Lee said they just took pity on the two women since they were already drunk and brought them to a motel in Lapu-Lapu so they could rest.
Park is the son of a hotel owner in Lapu-Lapu City.
The women said they were first brought to barangay Busay and then to a resto bar in Mango Square for drinks.
One of the complainants left for Japan after subscribing her affidavit. She said she would return to pursue the case./CORRESPONDENT CHITO O. ARAGON 

2 young Koreans face rape case


CEBU CITY -- Rape complaints were filed Monday against two Korean nationals who allegedly raped two Japanese women last Saturday dawn, then left them to pay for the motel room bill.
Inspector Delfin Bontuyan of the Criminal Investigation and Detection Group (CIDG) Central Visayas said that Carl Park, 21, and Jong Duk Lee, 24, underwent an inquest proceeding on Monday in the Lapu-Lapu City Prosecutor’s Office.
An inquest is a summary inquiry that is meant to check if the warrantless arrest of a person can be justified by probable cause.
Carl Park’s family owns Isla Mactan Resort Hotel and Spa in Barangay Agus, Lapu-Lapu city. But the alleged rape last Saturday happened in the Queensland Motel in Barangay Pajo, Lapu-Lapu City.

A commitment order requesting the police to send the suspects to the Lapu-Lapu City Jail was supposed to be issued, but since the time ran out, the suspects were detained in the CIDG Central Visayas stockade in Cebu City instead.
Akira Oka, a former president of the Japanese Association-Cebu Inc., urged his countrymen staying in the Philippines not to hold any grudges against the Koreans.

Trust that the wheels of justice are turning, he said in an interview over ABS-CBN’s TV Patrol Central Visayas.
Oka admitted being saddened by the alleged assault.
“There is danger in staying in a foreign country. They (travelers) must be watchful and protect themselves,” he said.
CIDG regional Chief Jose Pante, in a press conference, said the agency has coordinated with the complainants and suspects’ respective consuls.
But lawyer Benjamin Negapatan, one of the defense lawyers, said what happened in that motel room was consensual sex.
The two Japanese women, 21 and 20 years old, were seen in a motel room in Lapu-Lapu City the morning after a drinking spree that reportedly brought them to two joints in Cebu City.

From their motel room, after the suspects fled, the women immediately sought the help of the CIDG.
Among the evidences are a medical report and one earring, allegedly belonging to Park, which was left on the bed.
The complainants recalled that they were walking from their rented apartment in Lapu-Lapu City last Friday, when the suspects befriended them as they passed by Isla Mactan Resort. The two men reportedly offered to drive them to a mall some 12 kilometers away.
The women accepted, then parted ways with their new friends at the mall. But one of the suspects managed to get one woman’s cell phone number.
That afternoon, they met again at a coffee shop and the men invited them for a round of drinks in an establishment in Barangay Busay. After that, they transferred to a complex along Gen. Maxilom Ave., where they had a shot of tequila.
Bontuyan said he believes that the last round of tequila was laced with drugs because the ladies were dragged from the car to get to their motel room in Lapu-Lapu.

Heard her
One room boy, who asked not to be named, recalled that the suspects wanted to rent only one room for all four of them, but the management asked them to book two rooms.
The suspects took Rooms 8 and 6. But the room boy noticed later that night that one suspect from Room 6 transferred with one woman to Room 8.
By 5 a.m. Saturday, the room boy said, he was trying to wake up the occupant of Room 9 when he heard a commotion and a woman moaning in pain in the other room. He did not bother them.
An hour later, the guard called the room boy because the two suspects were reportedly on their way out.
The suspects told hotel personnel that the ladies would settle the bill.
But the room boy woke up the ladies, who said they have no money. So the suspects hurriedly paid the hotel P700 and immediately left.
When the hotel employee returned to the victims’ room to inform them that the room had been paid for, that’s when the women alleged they had been raped.

The victims called a Filipino friend, who went to the motel and brought the victims to CIDG official. Chief Inspector Fermin Armendarez and Bontuyan followed up the case.
When Bontuyan checked Isla Mactan Hotel, he learned the suspects’ identity and found one address in Sunny Hills, Talamban. From the subdivision’s guard, the police official learned Park’s complete address.
That late Saturday morning, Bontuyan said, one of the victims woke up Park, but the latter denied involvement.
When Bontuyan asked him about his earring’s pair, the suspect reportedly said it was on his bed but Bontuyan showed him the missing earring.
They then asked Park to call his cohort to settle the matters and Lee arrived at CIDG, where he too was arrested.(DSM/OCP of Sun.Star Cebu)

Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on June 26, 2012.  

Mactan Isla Resort & Spa
Mactan Isla Resort & Spa